There are many reasons why Xfinity WiFi might not work at night, and it can be hard to tell which is causing your problem. Luckily there are a few things you can do in order to fix the problem, but we’ll start with the basics.
The first thing that you need to do is establish if there is a pattern to this slow internet or not. Think about the following to try and find a common link:
- Is it happening at a specific time every night?
- Are all devices experiencing this slow down at the same time?
- Is there a specific person around when the slow down happens?
If you can answer those 3 questions above, then you can start to troubleshoot what the issue is that is causing your Xfinity WiFi not to work properly at night.
Remember, we have a wide variety of Xfinity related articles that will help you to solve common internet and WiFi problems.
Below are our most read articles that represent problems that most people come across.
- 8 of the Most Common Comcast Xfinity Issues People Ask About (And Solutions)
- Do You Need an Xfinity WiFi Booster? (For Beginners)
- Why Does Xfinity WiFi Keep Dropping?
Investigate your current set up
If it is happening at the same time every night, then you can try disconnecting each of your internet connected devices until you see an improvement.
If you find a device that is actually causing the issue, then you can investigate further and see if there is an application that is hogging too much bandwidth at a certain time of night.
Examples of this include torrents, operating system updates, and antivirus updates.
If you notice that all devices are slowing down at the same time, then you can look at checking the traffic on your router to find out which of the connected devices in your home are causing the slow down.
You can also do this using a network monitoring tool on your phone or tablet.
If you notice that it’s when an individual is around, then you should find out if there is anything they’re doing when the issue occurs.
If they are watching shows or movies online then this could be causing issues, especially if they are watching in 4K or other high resolutions.
It’s also possible they could have bad settings on their phone or tablet that are causing the issue, so make sure to find out what they’ve done recently.
If you don’t know the answer to those questions, then you can try some different troubleshooting steps until the problem is fixed. Some of these include:
- rebooting your router
- powering off all of your internet devices and then starting them up one at a time
- restarting all of your network devices
Why does my WiFi stop working at night?
There are many reasons why your WiFi might stop working at night. It could be anything from over utilization, to a bad setting on your router. What kind of setting?
Think about scheduled connectivity features that are popular as parental controls. This is intended as a way of keeping younger children from spending too much time online, but if misconfigured it can cause large problems with internet speeds.
For example, it’s possible to set up scheduled downtime for your router that uses the network connectivity features of Windows 10 to shut down WiFi access for particular people.
This can be helpful if you get up early in the morning or need to go to sleep early without disturbing everyone else in the house. If you would like to check, then here is the basic procedure:
How to limit the time your router will allow you to access the internet
- Log into the router’s admin panel.
- Choose a device/computer by clicking the Select a device/computer button
- Make sure that the computer you want to limit is turned on and click the Refresh button if you do not see it. On the Add button, click on the Add button for the computer you want to limit.
- Choose the day or days you want to block from the Days to Block section. Choosing a Block Start time (for example, 9:00 PM) and an End time (for example, 6:00 AM) in the Time of Day to Block section is necessary. Choosing this time range will apply to the specific computer on one day of the week.
Select the Apply option and you are done.
How do I reactivate Xfinity WiFi at night?
If you are finding that you have no internet access at a certain time of night, then you may be experiencing the issue above: you are being disconnected at a specific time, either deliberately or accidentally.
You will need to speak to the person that manages your router and find out if this is being done.
If you are certain that this is not the case, and that your WiFi is ok, then restarting your router can help to resolve the issue.
If you’re still having issues, then there is something else going on and you should contact Xfinity support for further assistance.
How do I bypass Xfinity WiFi block?
There are many ways to accomplish this, but before you do, make sure that you have permission to use the internet. If you are currently blocked from using the WiFi, then there might be a reason for it. (Just sayin’)
- Install an additional WiFi router: If access to the Xfinity gateway/router is not a problem, then a cheap WiFi router and an Ethernet cable is all you need to get started. Simply plug it into a free port on the router and then once your WiFi network shows up, connect to it and you will be back in business.
- Use an Ethernet cable: If you have a laptop or desktop computer, then you can plug in an Ethernet cable from your device and into the Xfinity router. DHCP is usually enabled by default, so your device will receive an IP address and you will be back in business in no time.
- MAC Address trickery: Any IP V4 device has what is known as a hardware address, or a MAC. This is tied to your physical device, and has information such as the manufacturer name and device type within it. This is handy for managing equipment because it allows administrators to grant permissions to a device’s MAC address instead of needing to know what it’s ever changing IP address is. These days it is very easy to find a MAC address spoofer that will randomly select a MAC address for your device, letting you bypass any restrictions that may have been put in place. You can find these applications for Android, iOS, and Windows.
Can I turn off Xfinity WiFi?
Yes you can. In order to switch it off all you need to do is log into your Xfinity router and switch the ‘Enable Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot’ to off.
Yes, if enabled, Comcast’s “WiFi” network is broadcast from your home router and provides a secondary internet connection for other devices in your house or neighborhood. It can be turned on or off easily through the home router admin panel.
Hopefully these basic steps will help you to resolve any issues that you are currently experiencing without having to contact Xfinity support right away. You can find a whole range of solutions to common connectivity problems without needing to resort to waiting on the line to speak to a consultant. The elevator music isn’t great either. Thank you for reading, and we will catch you next time!
At night, your Xfinity WiFi service may be interrupted for a number of reasons, but luckily there are a few things you can do to address the problem. Let’s begin with the basics.